My son wants me to teach him Python

Modulok modulok at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 01:30:23 EDT 2013

>> *Everything* these days revolves around graphical interfaces. The
console,
>> which was once the dark and mystical battlefield where knighted geeks
would
>> slay the plagues of exception demons, has been reduced to a mere:
"little black
>> box of nostalgia".

>>  1. Rock is dead...
>>  2. The console is dead...

I use a console every day and I'm 28 years old. I write code for everything
from Autodesk Maya to web API's to database backends. (Yes, GUI code too.)
The
console is far, far from dead. It has a steeper learning curve than a GUI
but
even in 2013 it's still invaluable. To date I have not met a good programmer
who doesn't use a console on a regular basis. It's not the only tool in the
box
but, properly configured, it's a heck of a good one. I don't see this
changing
anytime soon.

Back on topic...

If he wants to learn game programming, teach him game programming. Don't
push a
bunch of prerequisites on him that he has to learn first. You'll only kill
the
spirit. There's plenty of time to learn the other stuff as needed. You might
look at the Unity game engine. There's a lot of UI to start with for
tweaking
assets and a *lots* of programming. There's a free version and tons of
documentation. You might consider signing up for www.digitaltutors.com/ for
additional sources of documentation on both Unity as well as digital content
creation software you'll be using along the way. This will feed his desire
learn due to the instant gratification of making a 3D "game" in an hour.

Unfortunately, with Unity you don't get to write code in Python, but there's
Boo script which is Python inspired, as well as JavaScript if he's already
comfortable with that. (Eww... but even it has good parts.) If you decide to
get seriously invested in digital content creation software (i.e. Maya, etc)
most of those are scripted in Python. Maya used to be all MEL (and the MEL
interpreter is still supported) but most new code for proprietary tools is
done
in Python. (MEL is kind of perverse in comparison.)

Most important of all - keep it fun!
-Modulok-

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com