My son wants me to teach him Python

John Ladasky john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 12 15:46:13 EDT 2013

Hi folks,

My son is 17 years old.  He just took a one-year course in web page design at his high school.  HTML is worth knowing, I suppose, and I think he has also done a little Javascript.  He has expressed an interest in eventually wanting to program 3D video games.

For that purpose, HTML and Javascript are too limited.  I hardly consider either one to be a real programming language.  I want to get him started with a real applications programming language -- Python, of course.  And he's ready to learn.  OK, so it's not necessarily a fast enough language for the epic video games he envisions, but it's a darn good start.  I'll tax his brain with a compiled language like C at some other time.

He's a smart kid, but prefers to be shown, to be tutored, rather than having the patience to sit down and RTFM.  Have any of you been down this road before?  I would appreciate it if you would share your experiences, or provide resource material.

Thanks!