A certainl part of an if() structure never gets executed.

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Wed Jun 19 04:06:07 EDT 2013

On 06/19/2013 03:14 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>> Names are *one of* the ways we specify which objects are to be used. (We can
>> also specify objects via an container and a subscript or slice, or via an
>> attribute of another object.  And probably another way or two.)
>
> But you always have to bootstrap it with either a name.

Whatever bootstrap really means in this context.  But if you have
myname[3] + myname[5], the two objects being added are identified by a
subscript operation, not just a name.

> Or a literal.

A literal is used to create an object, and acts like a temporary name
for that object, but once again the object being operated on isn't
necessarily that one. You can subscript and get attributes from a
literal as well.

> So those are the only two ways to specify which objects are to be
> used.

That would be a pretty weak language, and it wouldn't be python.

Now if you considered "." and "[" as operators, then I could understand
your point.  But
    http://docs.python.org/3/reference/lexical_analysis.html#operators
seems to say differently.

Also see