Variables versus name bindings [Re: A certainl part of an if() structure never gets executed.]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jun 17 18:16:12 EDT 2013

On 6/17/2013 1:17 PM, Νίκος wrote:

>>> I lost you here.

Memory in biological brains is not a linear series of bits, or
characters. How we do associate things is still mostly a puzzle.

Read about holographic memory.

> The way some info(i.e. a Unicode string) is saved into the hdd , is the
> same way its being saved into the memory too? Same way exactly?

No. A unicode string is a sequence of abstract characters or codepoints.
They must be encoded somehow to map them to linear byte memory. There
are still (too) many encodings in use. Most cannot encode *all* unicode
characters.

CPython is unusual in using one of three different encodings for
internal unicode strings.

> While you said to me to forget about memory locations,

This is excellent advice. One of the *features* of Python is that one
*can* forget about addresses. One of the *problems* of C is that many
people *do* forget about memory locations, while virus writers study
them carefully.

--
Terry Jan Reedy