Variables versus name bindings [Re: A certainl part of an if() structure never gets executed.]

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 02:01:11 EDT 2013

On 06/19/2013 11:48 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 23:16:51 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
>
>> The real power and expressivity of Python comes from embracing the
>> abstractions that Python provides to your advantage.  There's a certain
>> elegance and beauty that comes from such things, which I believe really
>> comes from the elegance and beauty of LISP, some of which manages to
>> shine forth in Python, despite its deficiencies.  When I first learned
>> Python, I was impressed that some of the elegance that I remember from
>> Scheme (how to use lists as a basic type for example) was there, but in
>> a form that appealed to me.
>

> Well said!

Glad you made sense of it... the bit about LISP and Scheme came out a
wee bit muddled.  In fact thinking about it, perhaps LISPers would say
about Python what a bible passage says about having the form of
Godliness but denying the power thereof!  For example, Python's lambda
functions, and Python's functional programming capabilities in general.
 But since the LISP never really got a form beyond S-expressions,
leaving us with lots of parenthesis everywhere, Python wins much as the
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy wins.