Variables versus name bindings [Re: A certainl part of an if() structure never gets executed.]

Νίκος support at superhost.gr
Tue Jun 18 04:49:36 EDT 2013

Στις 18/6/2013 9:39 πμ, ο/η Larry Hudson έγραψε:
> Not quite:  a and b _are_ memory addresses,  At the same time, a and b
> are references to the data (the objects) stored in those memory locations.
>
> The distinction is probably more important in languages like C/C++,
> where the _language_ gives you direct access to, and can manipulate,
> these memory addresses (through pointers).  Python handles it
> differently and does not give you this sort of ability, it all occurs
> "under the hood".  Yes, the id() function will tell you the addresses,
> but you can't do anything with them other than perhaps compare them.
> It's really pretty much useless information.

So, a and b are actual memory addresses.

Does the term of a pointer exist in Python?
I mean if print(a) or print(b) outputs the object that a and b are
linked to, then how do we access a's and b's memory locations themselves
t create links among variables, one pointing to the other and so on?

Can a variable point to another variable or variables never point to
other variables but instead are *only* linked to the objects of those
var's instead?

--
What is now proved was at first only imagined!