"Don't rebind built-in names*" - it confuses readers

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 07:12:38 EDT 2013

On Jun 11, 12:09 pm, Peter Otten <__pete... at web.de> wrote:
> Terry Jan Reedy wrote:
> > Many long-time posters have advised "Don't rebind built-in names*.
>
> I'm in that camp, but I think this old post by Guido van Rossum is worth
> reading to put the matter into perspective:

Not sure what you are saying Peter… If it is this (taken without
context):

> (Not that it isn't a good idea to avoid obvious clashes --
> 'str' for string variables and 'type' for type variables being the
> most obvious stumbling blocks.)

then I guess we are saying the same thing??

If however we consider the context of that message:
First there was only open, then there came file, and file was
considered better than open, now again file seems to have disappeared
from python3… and this message is written in the context of making the
'kosherness' of one python generation become the *different*
kosherness of the next…

then what the message of the Guido-quote is, is not clear (at least to
me).