OT: e-mail reply to old/archived message

Andreas Perstinger andipersti at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 18:13:02 EDT 2013

On 11.06.2013 22:14, Νικόλαος Κούρας wrote:
> Τη Τρίτη, 11 Ιουνίου 2013 2:21:50 μ.μ. UTC+3, ο χρήστης Andreas Perstinger έγραψε:
>> > sending the mail to python-list at python.org will just open anew
>> > subject intead of replyign to an opened thread.
>
>> You would need to find out the Message-Id of the post you want to reply
>> to and then add manually the In-Reply-To and References headers to your
>> e-mail using that Id.
>
> You mean by viewing for example your post as 'view original source', finding

No, the In-Reply-To header in *my* post is the post *I* have replied to,
i.e. that's the Message-ID of *your* earlier post.

> and then compose a new mail as:
>
> to: Andreas Perstinger <andip... at gmail.com>
> cc: In-Reply-To: <71d585e6-bb98-47b7-9a45-7cde1ba0c48f at googlegroups.com>
>
> is this the way Andrea?

No, the headers would be:
To: python-list at python.org
<51b5bb53$0$29997$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>
<71d585e6-bb98-47b7-9a45-7cde1ba0c48f at googlegroups.com>
<51B7084E.9040000 at gmail.com>

Basically, you should follow RFC 2822 and RFC 1036 if you don't mess up
with message threading.

You also need to know that you can't add these headers manually in
Thunderbird out of the box. You would need to edit the configuration.

Bye, Andreas