Don't feed the troll...

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 13:42:47 EDT 2013

On 17 June 2013 17:35, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:39:56 +0000 (UTC)
> Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> I don't want _any_ copies from from Mailman.  I don't subscribe to
>> whatever mailing list you're talking about.  I'm reading this via an
>> NNTP server.  Keep replies in the group or on the list.
>
> And that is part of the problem.  I have always argued that gatewaying
> the mailing list to newgroups is wrong.  If this was only a mailing
> list there are many things we could do to reduce abuse but because of
> the gateway they can't be done.

There is a very simple solution used by many mailing lists which is to
set the Reply-To header to point back to the mailing list. That way
any old email client on any OS/computer/phone/website etc. has the
required button to reply to the list without CCing anyone. It also
reduces the chance of accidentally replying off-list. Anyone who wants
to reply off-list or to deliberately CC someone (as I did here) can
still do so but it will rarely happen accidentally.

Oscar