Don't feed the troll...

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 03:33:31 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:07:28 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On the contrary, stereotyping is "You are-a <quality>, therefore you
>> will behave in <manner>".
>
> I don't think that's how stereotypes usually work.
>
> "He wears a turban, therefore he's an Arab terrorist."

Right, my terminology was a little sloppy but I was thinking more in
terms of one of the most common forms of stereotyping: racism. "You
have skin of this colour, therefore you are inferior or a criminal or
whatever". The <quality> is something visible, and the
expectation/assumption is utterly unrelated to it.

ChrisA