Don't feed the troll...

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Sun Jun 16 14:39:56 EDT 2013

Op 15-06-13 21:54, rurpy at yahoo.com schreef:
> On 06/15/2013 12:18 PM, rusi wrote:
>> On Jun 15, 10:52 pm, Steven D'Aprano<steve
>> +comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info>  wrote:
>>>
>>> If you're going to continue making unproductive, off-topic, inflammatory
>>> posts that prolong these already excessively large threads, Nikos won't
>>> be the only one kill-filed.
>>
>> At least two people -- Alex and Antoon -- have told you that by
>> supporting Nikos, when everyone else wants him off list, you are part
>> of the problem.
>
> Nikos is only secondarily the problem, Steven not at all.
>
> The primary problem is a (relatively small) number of people
> who respond to every post by Nikos with a barrage of insults,
> demands, (what they think are) witty repartee, hints intended
> to "make" Nikos learn something, useless (to Nikos) links,
> new threads to discuss the "Nikos problem", and other trash
> that is far more obnoxious that anything Nikos posts and just
> serves to egg him on.

Sorry but this is IMO a false equivallence. It ignores the
important distinction between action and reaction. Does
this number of people post a barrage of insult to no matter
who? And you may find those responses more obnoxious they
propbably are the reactions of people who are utterly fed
up and think that if nobody is concerned about their annoyance
they don't have to b econcerned about the annoyance of others
either.

> Steven's advice on how to deal with Nikos was probably the
> most sensible thing I've seen posted here on the subject.

Most sensible for what purpose? As far as I can see Steven's
advice will just prolong the cycle of Nikos continuing to ask
for spoonfeeding, showing very litle signs of understanding
and keeping to hop from one problem/bug to the next until
the mailing list has finished his project at which point
he will probably start something new.

If nikos's project was a college project we would have told
him he has to make his homework himself. But now he is earning
money with it, you seem to find it acceptable his job is done
for him.

> I suggest that if you can and want to answer Nikos' question,
> do so directly and with a serious attempt address what it is
> he seems not to get,
>   or
> killfile him and shut the fuck up.

I suggest that if you want this to continue being a hospitable
place, you don't encourage asocial behaviour. His behaviour
may not bother you so much, but that shouldn't be the norm
because others are less bothered with the barrage of insults
Nikos is now receiving than with Nikos vampirizing this list,
because they consider those insults deserved.

--
Antoon Pardon