Don't feed the troll...

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 17:43:02 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM,  <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Ferrous Cranus <support at superhost.gr> wrote:
>>> The only thing i'm feeling guilty is that instead of reading help files and
>>> PEP's which seem too technical for me, i prefer the live help of an actual
>>> expert human being.
>>
>> This is definitely a reason to feel guilty. You are asking people to
>> provide live help for free, rather than simply reading the
>> documentation.
>
> It is NOT a matter of simply reading the documentation.
> I have posted here several times as have many others about
> some of the problems the documentation has, especially for
> people who don't already know Python.

I'm aware the docs aren't perfect. But there's a world of difference between:

"Here's my code, tell me what's wrong. TELL ME NOW!!"

and

"Having trouble understanding this function [link to docs] - I expect
X but Y happens".

That's what I take issue with. The implication behind Nikos's
questions is that he *can't be bothered* reading the docs, which he
has explicitly confirmed above. That's nothing to do with "the
problems the documentation has"; if Python had perfect documentation,
he still wouldn't read it. That is a problem. A major problem.

ChrisA