Don't feed the troll...

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 13:25:21 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 18:41:41 +0200
> Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick <kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> > In the name of all that's good and decent in the world, why on earth
>> > would you do that when replying to a mailing list??? They're already
>> > getting a reply. Sending them TWO identical replies is just rude.
>>
>> Mailman is intelligent enough not to send a second copy in that case.
>> This message was sent with a CC, and you got only one copy.
>
> Actually, no.  Mailman is not your MTA.  It only gets the email sent to
> the mailing list.  Your MTA sends the other one directly so Steve is
> correct.  He gets two copies.  If his client doesn't suppress the
> duplicate then he will be presented with both.

The source code seems to think otherwise:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/3.0/view/head:/src/mailman/handlers/avoid_duplicates.py

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> Wrong. I got two copies. One via comp.lang.python, and one direct to me.

You are subscribed through Usenet and not
<http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list>, in which case
the above doesn’t apply, because Mailman throws the mail to Usenet and
not you personally.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk> | GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
stop html mail                | always bottom-post