Don't feed the troll... (was: Re: A few questiosn about encoding)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 13:31:12 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 3:13 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net> wrote:
> The answer is to always make sure that you include the previous poster
> in the reply as a Cc or To.  I filter out any email that has the string
> "support at superhost.gr" in a header so I would also filter out the
> replies if people would follow that simple rule.
>
> I have suggested this before but the push back I get is that then
> people would get two copies of the email, one to them and one to the
> list.  My answer is simple.  Get a proper email system that filters out
> duplicates.  Is there an email client out there that does not have this
> facility?

The main downside to that is not the first response, to
somebody at somewhere and python-list, but the subsequent ones. Do you
include everyone's addresses? And if so, how do they then get off the
list? (This is a serious consideration. I had some very angry people
asking me to unsubscribe them from a (private) mailman list I run, but
they weren't subscribed at all - they were being cc'd.)

I prefer to simply mail the list. You should be able to mute entire
threads, and he doesn't start more than a couple a day usually.

ChrisA