Don't feed the troll... (was: Re: A few questiosn about encoding)

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 07:51:46 EDT 2013

On Jun 14, 3:20 pm, Fábio Santos <fabiosantos... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Come on now, this is _so_ obviously trolling, it's not even remotely
>
> funny anymore. Why doesn't killfiling work with the mailing list version of
> the python list? :-(
>
> I have skimmed the archives for this month, and I estimate that a third of
> this month's activity on this list was helping this person. About 80% of
> that is wasted in explaining basic concepts he refuses to read in links
> given to him. A depressingly large number of replies to his posts are
> seemingly ignored.
>
> Since this is a lot of spam, I feel like leaving the list, but I also
> honestly want to help people use python and the replies to questions of
> others often give me much insight on several matters.

Adding my +1 to this sentiment.

In older saner and more politically incorrect times, when there was a
student who was as idiotic as Nikos, he would be made to:
-- run five rounds of the field
-- stay after school
-- write pages of "I shall not talk in class"

In the age of cut-n-paste the last has lost its sting. Likewise the
first two are hard to administer across the internet.
Still if we are genuinely interested in solving this problem, ways may
be found, for example:

Any question from Nikos that has any English error, should be returned
with:
Correct your English before we look at your python.

If he is brazen enough to correct one error and leave the other 35,
then we put in a 24-hour delay for each reply.

I am sure others can come up with better solutions if we wish.

The alternative is that this disease has an unfavorable prognosis:
[Yes Nikos is an infectious disease: I believe I can pull out mails
from Steven and Grant Edwards whic hare begng tolook sspcicious ly
like Nikos [Sorry Im not much good at imitation!] ]

And that unfavorable prognosis is what Fabio is suggesting -- people
will start leaving the list/group.

Nikos:
This is not against you personally.  Just your current mode of conduct
towards this list.
And that mode quite simply is this: You have no interest in python,
you are only interested in the immediate questions of your web-hosting.