A few questiosn about encoding

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 09:45:50 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Benjamin Schollnick
<benjamin at schollnick.net> wrote:
> Nick,
>
> The only thing that i didn't understood is this line.
> First please tell me what is a byte value
>
> \x1b is a sequence you find inside strings (and "byte" strings, the
> b'...' format).
>

> \x1b is a character(ESC) represented in hex format
>
> b'\x1b' is a byte object that represents what?

> b'\x1b'

> '\x1b'
>
> After decoding it gives the char ESC in hex format
> Shouldn't it result in value 27 which is the ordinal of ESC ?
>

> I'm sorry are you not listening?
>
> 1b is a HEXADECIMAL Number.  As a so-called programmer, did you seriously
> not consider that?
>
> Try this:
>
> 1) Open a Web browser
> 2) Go to Google.com
> 3) Type in "Hex 1B"
> 4) Click on the first link
> 5) In the Hexadecimal column find 1B.
>
> Or open your favorite calculator, and convert Hexadecimal 1B to Decimal
> (Base 10).
>
> - Benjamin
>

> --

Better: a programmer should know how to convert hexadecimal to decimal.

0x1B = (0x1 * 16^1) + (0xB * 16^0) = (1 * 16) + (11 * 1) = 16 + 11 = 27

It’s that easy, and a programmer should be able to do that in their
brain, at least with small numbers.  Or at least know that:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=0x1B+in+decimal

Or at least `hex(27)`; or '`{:X}'.format(27)`; or `'%X' % 27`.  (I
despise hex numbers with lowercase letters, but that’s my personal
opinion.)

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk> | GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
stop html mail                | always bottom-post