A few questiosn about encoding

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Jun 15 10:59:32 EDT 2013

In article <kphul7$74q$1 at reader1.panix.com>,
 Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:

> There is some ambiguity in the term "byte".  It used to mean the
> smallest addressable unit of memory (which varied in the past -- at
> one point, both 20 and 60 bit "bytes" were common).

I would have defined it more like, "some arbitrary collection of
adjacent bits which hold some useful value".  Doesn't need to be
addressable, nor does it need to be the smallest such thing.

For example, on the pdp-10 (36 bit word), it was common to treat a word
as either four 9-bit bytes, or five 7-bit bytes (with one bit left
over), depending on what you were doing.  And, of course, a nybble was
something smaller than a byte!

And, yes, especially in networking, everybody talks about octets when
they want to make sure people understand what they mean.