Re-using copyrighted code

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sun Jun 9 22:48:59 EDT 2013

On 2013-06-09 19:30, Mark Janssen wrote:
> Thanks for digging out the legal code.  Upon reading, it is
> stunningly clear that the legal system has not established a solid
> framework or arching philosophy in which to contain and express the
> desire (in law) to protect content creators of all kinds or the
> general public with the fair use of such works and has been running
> on the sheer confidence of "the American spirit", however facile or
> misdirected that may be.

What is clear is the mandate that sets up the framework in the first
place:

  "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing
  for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to
  their respective Writings and Discoveries"
                -- USC Article I, Section 8

If it doesn't "promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts", then
it misses the spirit of the law as drafted.

Granted, courts seem to miss that interpretation on a regular basis,
leaving me a bit disgusted at the whole mess. :-/

-tkc