Re-using copyrighted code

Malte Forkel malte.forkel at berlin.de
Mon Jun 10 02:42:07 EDT 2013

Am 10.06.2013 07:31, schrieb Steven D'Aprano:

> But bringing it back to the original topic, I believe that the philosophy
> of FOSS is that we should try our best to honour the intentions of the
> writer, not to find some legal loophole that permits us to copy his or
> her work against their wishes.

Woh! I didn't expect my naive question to trigger that kind of
discussion. Thanks to all of you.  While I'm grateful for all the input,
I have to admit I still don't really know what to do yet.

In addition to asking the PSF, I've written to PythonWare (formerly
Secret Labs) about their point of view.  I'll report their responses.

Had I known in the beginning how convoluted things would become, I might
have considered two other options: Just publish or keep the code to
myself.  But I still think, first understanding the legal aspects and
then publishing (to give back at least a little) is the way to go.

I certainly hope that there is no software out thre that didn't get
released to the public because its author found the legal implications
to difficult to handle.  So there should exist some simple guidelines to
help people like me to prepare themselves and their code for that step.
 Unfortenately, I just haven't discovered them.  At least for the Python
universe, PyPI would be a good place to setup a page or link to that
kind of information.  Or is it there already and I have simply
overlooked it?

Malte