Re-using copyrighted code

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 15:50:58 EDT 2013

On 06/09/2013 11:18 AM, Mark Janssen wrote:
>> I understand that I have to pick a license for my package.
>
> You actually do not.  Attaching a legal document is purely a secondary
> protection from those who would take away right already granted by US
> copyright.

You are correct, except that the OP has already stated he wishes to have
his code distributed. Without granting a license, the code cannot be
distributed beyond the people he personally gives the code too.  PyPi
cannot legally allow others to download it without a license.

Here's how the GPL puts it, and of course this applies to any and all
licenses, even proprietary ones:

"However, nothing else [besides the License] grants you permission to
modify or distribute the Program or its derivative works. These actions
are prohibited by law if you do not accept this License. Therefore, by
modifying or distributing the Program (or any work based on the
Program), you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all
its terms and conditions for copying..."