Re-using copyrighted code

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 11:43:32 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Secret Labs license is very explicit: "All rights reserved". That line means you can't touch it under pain of lawsuit.
>
> That's not true.  It means whatever rights they do have, they are
> stating, in effect, that they have not given them away.  But this is a
> difficult legal point, because by open sourcing their IP, they've
> already given away from of their rights.

They start by reserving all rights. Then they say "And you may use
this, on these conditions". This is the normal order of things.

The words "All rights reserved" don't actually add anything, now. (I'm
given to understand they used to have significance, at least in some
jurisdictions, but not any more.) So just "Copyright <date> <your
name>" is sufficient.

ChrisA