Re-using copyrighted code

Andrew Berg robotsondrugs at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 17:42:24 EDT 2013

On 2013.06.08 16:31, Malte Forkel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have written a small utility to locate errors in regular expressions
> that I want to upload to PyPI.  Before I do that, I would like to learn
> a litte more about the legal aspects of open-source software. What would
> be a good introductory reading?
The exact license terms. We might be able to help if you tell us which part(s) of the license you don't understand.
There are some nice articles on many of the more common licenses on Wikipedia as well if you want a broader understanding. "Open-source"
only implies that the source code is available. What one is allowed to actually do with the code will vary by project/author.

> Now, how am I supposed to deal with that? Ask Secret Labs for some kind
> of permission? Leave it as it is and add my own copyright line?
If you can't find the license, I'd suggest sending an email to that address asking for a copy.

--
CPython 3.3.2 | Windows NT 6.2.9200 / FreeBSD 9.1