How to store a variable when a script is executing for next time execution?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Jun 6 07:19:04 EDT 2013

On 06Jun2013 03:50, Avnesh Shakya <avnesh.nitk at gmail.com> wrote:
| hi,
|    I am running a python script and it will create a file name like filename0.0.0 and If I run it again then new file will create one more like filename0.0.1...... my code is-
|
| i = 0
| for i in range(1000):
|     try:
|         with open('filename%d.%d.%d.json'%(0,0,i,)): pass
|         continue
|     except IOError:
|         dataFile = file('filename%d.%d.%d.json'%(0,0,i,), 'a+')
|         break
| But It will take more time after creating many files, So i want to store value of last var "i" in a variable so that when i run my script again then I can use it. for example-
|                  my last created file is filename0.0.27 then it should store 27 in a variable and when i run again then new file should be created 0.0.28 according to last value "27", so that i could save time and it can create file fast..
|
| Please give me suggestion for it.. How is it possible?

Write it to a file? Read the file next time the script runs?

BTW, trying to open zillions of files is slow.
But using listdir to read the directory you can see all the names.
Pick the next free one (and then test anyway).
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

The mark must be robust enough to survive MP3 transmission over the Internet,
but remain inaudible when played on the yet to be launched DVD-Audio players.
- the SDMI audio watermarkers literally ask for the impossible, since all
  audio compressors aim to pass _only_ human perceptible data