Do you consider Python a 4GL? Why (not)?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 23:15:59 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Carlos Nepomuceno
<carlosnepomuceno at outlook.com> wrote:
> I don't have an opinion yet, but I've found contradictory evidence from many
> sources, such as:
>
> "A domain-specific language (DSL) is a type of programming language or
> specification language in software development and domain engineering
> dedicated to a particular problem domain,
> [...]
> The opposite is:
>
> a general-purpose programming language, such as C, Java or Python,"
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain-specific_programming_language
>
> Since, 4GL is considered a subset of DSLs, this wiki page doesn't consider
> Python a 4GL.
>
> Is is true? Why???

I wasn't previously familiar with the 3GL / 4GL nomenclature, but
based upon the definitions given at Wikipedia, Python is clearly a
3GL.  That said, virtually all general-purpose languages in common
usage today would be 3GLs, so the distinction does not seem terribly
useful to me.  The terms "4GL" and "5GL" while suggesting a language
that is somehow more "advanced" than a 3GL, seem to be mainly 80s
hype.