Interactive interpreter hooks

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 3 03:55:41 EDT 2013

The sys module defines two hooks that are used in the interactive
interpreter:

* sys.displayhook(value) gets called with the result of evaluating the
line when you press ENTER;

* sys.excepthook(type, value, traceback) gets called with the details of
the exception when your line raises an exception.

Is there a way to hook into the interactive interpreter *before* it is
evaluated? That is, if I type "len([])" at the prompt and hit ENTER, I
want a hook that runs before len([]) is evaluated to 0, so that I get the
string "len([])".

--
Steven