Bools and explicitness [was Re: PyWart: The problem with "print"]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 12:59:07 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Russ P. <Russ.Paielli at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:59:01 AM UTC-7, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>> I want to launch this rocket with an expensive satellite on top.  I know
>>
>> it's safe as the code is written in ADA.  Whoops :(
>

> So Python would have been a better choice? Yeah, right. If you know anything about that rocket mishap, you should know that Ada was not the source of the problem. Ada won't keep airplane wings from breaking either, by the way. It's not magic.

Frankly, I don't think the language much matters. It's all down to the
skill of the programmers and testers. Ada wasn't the source of the
problem unless Ada has a bug in it... which is going to be true of
pretty much any language. Maybe Python would be a better choice, maybe
not; but let me tell you this, if the choice of language means the
difference between testable in three months and testable code in three
years, I'm going for the former.

ChrisA