PyWart: The problem with "print"

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 23:23:42 EDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM, Dan Sommers <dan at tombstonezero.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 20:16:21 -0400, Jason Swails wrote:
>
> > ... If you don't believe me, you've never hit a bug that 'magically'
> > disappears when you add a debugging print statement ;-).
>
> Ah, yes.  The Heisenbug.  ;-)

Indeed.  Being in the field of computational chemistry/physics, I was
almost happy to have found one just to say I was hunting a Heisenbug.  It
seems to be a term geared more toward the physics-oriented programming
crowd.

> We used to run into those back in the days of C and assembly langua
>
> ge.
>
> They're much harder to see in the wild with Python.

Yea, I've only run into Heisenbugs with Fortran or C/C++.  Every time I've
seen one it's been due to an uninitialized variable somewhere -- something
valgrind is quite good at pinpointing.  (And yes, a good portion of our
code is -still- in Fortran -- but at least it's F90+ :).