Changing filenames from Greeklish => Greek (subprocess complain)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jun 4 04:47:01 EDT 2013

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 23:28:21 -0700, nagia.retsina wrote:

> nikos at superhost.gr [~]# locale
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
[...]

Okay, this is good. This means that your system is currently using UTF-8.

> Hese is also how the terminal presents my filenames.
[...]
> nikos at superhost.gr [~]# ls -l www/data/apps/ total 368548
> v2.4.msi -rw-r--r-- 1 nikos nikos  3511233 Jun  3 12:07 ΞΟ ΟΞ�\ Ο
>       ΞΏΟ.mp3

Weirder and weirder.

Please run these commands, and show what result they give:

alias ls

printf %q\\n *.mp3

ls -b *.mp3

> I'll try renaming it via terminal too. f you want to see soemhtign  else
> please ask me to show you Steven.

If all else fails, you could just rename the troublesome file and
hopefully the problem will go away:

mv *Ο.mp3 1.mp3
mv 1.mp3 Eυχή του Ιησού.mp3

--