Apache and suexec issue that wont let me run my python script

Carlos Nepomuceno carlosnepomuceno at outlook.com
Tue Jun 4 07:58:28 EDT 2013

> Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 04:36:06 -0700
> Subject: Re: Apache and suexec issue that wont let me run my python script
> From: nikos.gr33k at gmail.com
> To: python-list at python.org
>
> Τη Τρίτη, 4 Ιουνίου 2013 2:27:25 μ.μ. UTC+3, ο χρήστης Carlos Nepomuceno έγραψε:
> > The httpd processes are run by user 'nobody'. You have to change your httpd.conf to assign the correct user or change the owner of the log file to nobody.
> >
> > On httpd.conf look for the following directives:
> > User root
> > Group root
>
> Why some httpd run as root(first two) and the rest as nobody?

The root processes are run by init during startup. The nobody processes are started by the first httpd processes based on httpd.conf settings.

> What is user 'nobody' anyways?

Just a user with no shell access.

> root at nikos [/home/nikos/www/data/apps]# nano /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> root at nikos [/home/nikos/www/data/apps]# cat  /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf | grep 'User root'
> root at nikos [/home/nikos/www/data/apps]# cat  /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf | grep 'user root'
> root at nikos [/home/nikos/www/data/apps]# cat  /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf | grep 'group root'
> root at nikos [/home/nikos/www/data/apps]# cat  /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf | grep 'Group root'
>
> Doesn't seem to be there.

You have to edit httpd.conf and change the User and Group directives. They currently are set to nobody, so you have to look for ' User nobody'  and ' Group nobody'.

Take care while editing httpd.conf. Make a backup copy just in case. ;)