Apache and suexec issue that wont let me run my python script

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 20:57:46 EDT 2013

On 06/05/2013 05:19 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2013 10:29:44 -0700 (PDT), Íéêüëáïò Êïýñáò
> <nikos.gr33k at gmail.com> declaimed the following in
> gmane.comp.python.general:
>>
>> In the US there is a law called the DMCA which I think would make what
>> you did illegal, even though i have you a password, because i
>> clearly gave you access to help me fix a problem, not to do what you
>> did. Of course US law doesn't help in this case since you i live in Greece and you live in Australia...
>>
> 	I doubt it... DMCA mainly concerns itself with the breaking of
> copyright restrictions applied to media -- for example, e-books that are
> keyed to single user's account. The "CA" part is "copyright act"
> (without googling, I think the "DM" is "digital millenium"); the key is
> "copyright". No copyrights were violated in this teaching...

>From vague memory (and without enough interest in the
subject to research it), I recall hearing several news
stories over the years where people where convicted (or
at least charged with) violating the DMCA (or perhaps
equally draconian followup U.S. laws) even though they
clearly penetrated the system to point out security flaws.

> 	But what you did was the equivalent of handing out the key to
> strangers (on the Barnes&Noble Nook, the "key" is the combination of an
> email address and a credit card number -- if you are willing to hand
> your email and CC# to a perfect stranger they can legitimately open the
> e-book file you gave them).
>
> 	In short, you "said": I give you total control over my server; do
> anything you want with it though I'd like for you to clean up my mess.

No he didn't -- as I read his posts he was clearly offering
access for the purpose of having someone help him fix his
problems.

That I give you my car keys (even if you're a stranger) does
not mean I am giving you permission to do whatever you want
with my car.

Nor does the fact that I think you shouldn't pick up hitchikers
permit me to teach you a lesson by getting picked up by you and
then robbing you.

But a bunch of legally ignorant programmers (including myself)
speculating about the subject here is about as informative as
a group of 6-graders thoughts on Einstein's theory of relativity.