Apache and suexec issue that wont let me run my python script

Benjamin Schollnick benjamin at schollnick.net
Tue Jun 4 06:21:56 EDT 2013

On Jun 4, 2013, at 6:12 AM, Νικόλαος Κούρας <nikos.gr33k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Checking the permissions of /var/log/httpd directory itself:
>
> nikos at superhost.gr [~/www/cgi-bin]# ls -ld /var/log/httpd/
> drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jun  1 02:52 /var/log/httpd//
>
> Is that a problem?
>
> http != Apache ?

Yes, httpd is Apache, or at least part of Apache.

> i'm still confused about what is:
> '/var/log/httpd' and what is '/usr/local/Apache'
>
> Is seems like this is the same service runnign twice under different names.

Not really.

Unix unlike some other OSes, separates your data from your applications.

That's one reason, when Apple designed Mac OS X, you can re-install Mac OS X over your current installation, and not lose any data.  Your user data is separate from the OS data.

The /Usr tree is considered read-only.  In theory nothing should write to that folder, unless you are installing Unix tools.  Please note, it's not read only in the OS, yes, it does require super user rights, but that tree is not read only.

The /Var tree is where the OS writes data to.  For example, Log files, temporary work files, etc.

I hope this clears some of this up.

If I have made any mistakes here, please feel free to politely correct me |-)

		- Benjamin