How to Begin Web Development with Python ?

Giorgos Tzampanakis giorgos.tzampanakis at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 09:23:54 EDT 2013

Chitrank Dixit wrote:

> Hello Python developers
>
> I have learnt python and used it for various purposes for scietific
> computing using sage and GUI development using Tkinter and lots more. I
> want to start web development using python My goal is to learn the web
> development in python from the basic level and understand the big web
> development projects like Django , MoinMoin Wiki , Plone  and network
> programming further with twisted.
>
> I have found Web2Py to be an easy library to quickly use and develop the
> web application. Is there any other library to start my development with.
> and
> does my plan of learning Web2Py is good for Web development and getting
> involved in the big projects like Django , MoinMoin Wiki , Plone.

I am largely in the same situation as you, i.e. I used Python mostly for
scientific applications, using scipy. I wanted to create a website
to publish my research (see my signature for the result, but keep in
mind it's still work in progress!).

I chose CherryPy as my web framework, largely because it's simple and
gets out of the way. I have found that the documentation can be somewhat
lacking in certain respects but overall it's very easy to do what you
want.

CherryPy does not specify a template library so I chose mako which is
fast and very simple to use. The only problem I had with it was getting
meaningful tracebacks when an exception was raised by the in-template
code, but I was able to rectify it once I read the relevant
documentation section carefully.

Modulok suggested using ORM software. ORM should not really be needed if
you are aiming at scientific content for your application, you should
be fine with straight SQL (many consider ORM a hindrance rather than
help for any project  [1], [2]). But if you do find the need for ORM
then SQLAlchemy is very good and is considered pretty much a de facto
standard in the Python world.

Good luck, and I'm sure comp.lang.python posters will be happy to help
you with any problems you come across!

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_mapping#Controversy
[2] http://goo.gl/ECNSp

--