Python #ifdef

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 16:42:22 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Carlos Nepomuceno
<carlosnepomuceno at outlook.com> wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:05:49 +1000
>> Subject: Re: Python #ifdef
>> From: rosuav at gmail.com
>> To: python-list at python.org
> [...]
>> Ah. I actually wasn't aware of m4's use with sendmail. I first met it
>> as the aforementioned PHP preprocessor, simply by Googling for
>> something along the lines of "generic preprocessor". First hit solved
>> my problems.
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> Why didn't you use something like EZT[1]?
>
> [1] https://code.google.com/p/ezt/

I'm a bit behind getting to this; I think some python-list posts got
stuck somewhere (maybe in the news->list gateway?). Anyway: The reason
I didn't was simply that m4 came up first. I was familiar with the C
preprocessor and PPWizard (which is designed for HTML), and simply
went looking for a generic one. And yes, I had seriously contemplated
using the C preprocessor (from gcc), but there was a reason not to
(don't remember now, but I'm guessing it'll be the conflict between
hash comments in PHP and hash directives to cpp).

ChrisA