Python #ifdef

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Jun 2 19:57:02 EDT 2013

On 05/29/2013 08:05 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> It's not a bad tool. I used it as a sort of PHP preprocessor, because
> requirements at work had me wanting to have a source file defining a
> PHP class and having an autogenerated section in the middle of that
> class. PHP's 'include' directive doesn't work for that. Of course, had
> we been using a better language, that wouldn't have been an issue (and
> it stopped being an issue when we improved the design and stopped
> using that class system, too, though I retained the makefile
> directives about building .php.m4 -> .php files). But still, GNU M4 is
> a decent piece of technology.

Agreed.  The terror that most people feel when hearing "m4" is because
m4 was associated with sendmail, not because m4 was inherently awful.
It has problems, but you'd only encounter them when doing something
_very_ abstract.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Jabber erikmaxfrancis
   Substance is one of the greatest of our illusions.
    -- Sir Arthur Eddington