Future standard GUI library

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Sat Jun 1 14:18:17 EDT 2013

> > A GUI that can not be used without taking the ten fingers off the
> > keyboard is indeed entirely unusable for any half-proficient
> > screenworker. And anyone doing actual productive screenwork every
> > day for more than just a few months will inevitably (have to) get
> > proficient (unless completely braindead).
>
> My ten fingers stay on my keyboard, which looks somewhat thus:
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mobile/lenovo-thinkpad-t61/keyboard.jpg
>
> See the red dot in the middle? Mouse.

I didn't mean "trackpoints" or similar devices, but full keyboard
"navigation" of the entire GUI through shortcuts etc.

A "touch-type" GUI is a "must have" for any application that's supposed
to be used productively. The mouse is nice to "explore" a GUI or for
occasional/leisurely use, but once you use an application daily to earn
your living, it's a hopeless roadblock for productivity.

As is the "response time" behaviour of "web applications".

Besides that pathological non-operating system MS (Not Responding),
btw.

"No cursor animation ever" is an absolute "must have" requirement for
productivity applications.

> THIS is a professional programmer's workspace. :)

And by "screenworkers" I didn't refer to programmers. Those people
rarely have to use the stuff that they implement.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang