Using system python vs. updated/current version

memilanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 16:19:53 EDT 2013

On 07/31/2013 12:17 PM, Prasad, Ramit wrote:
> You should be able to install both Python 2 and 3 in most modern
> Linux distributions (at the same time). I would not change the system
> Python version.

I hadn't really planned on mucking with the system python... I recall
from a long while back (on Mac OSX) as that being a Bad Thing ;)

But that is kind of (one of) the question(s) here... I presume it is
'possible' to run a local version of python, installed in the user's
home directory... just curious if its worth the hassle.

> If you are not blocked from running Python 3 by some necessary
> dependency then you should use it. Otherwise, use the most
> recent Python version you can.

Are there any significant flaws with v.3.3.0 that would necessitate
upgrading to the most recent version (3.3.2?)

The only 'dependency' I have as far as 2.7.x is concerned is that I've
become rather accustomed to using spyder (IDE)... which at this point
doesn't support python3 - definitely a bummer.

> On a personal machine, I would install some things like pip/virtualenv
> (/numpy maybe) to system packages directory but keep most packages in
> a project specific directory (i.e. virtualenv).

What about larger gui toolkits like PyQt?  Some material I browsed
(skimmed) indicated that it wasn't quite as simple to run straight from
a virtualenv...?

How much of a pain are virtualenvs when working from an IDE?