Pyglet on Python3.x, problems

Joshua Landau joshua at landau.ws
Mon Jul 29 19:14:09 EDT 2013

On 29 July 2013 23:04, John Ladasky <john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> For whatever reason, the pyglet package is getting a lot of attention on
> c.l.python these past few days.  I am guilty of generating some of that
> potentially off-topic conversation myself.  At the end of my last thread, I
> reported that I had found the pyglet-users newsgroup, and would direct my
> questions there.
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.python/ARtI0GC9RHc/_6URRrhz7nUJ

I suggest you redirect to the archives from
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/.

> Well, I joined pyglet-users.  I have waited for about 36 hours for the
> moderator to approve my first post asking for help.  Several other posts
> have appeared, but not mine.  I don't think that I was impolite.
>
> Apologies to everyone, but I'm going to ask my questions here.  As you may
> recall, I'm teaching some adolescent computer programming students.  I need
> a Python 3-compatible GUI, preferably one oriented towards games.  I might
> have that GUI in hand, but I need to test it myself first.  I've been
> researching this issue for over a week.  I have a student tomorrow, so I'm
> facing a bit of a deadline.  (Yeah, I could teach him about B-trees
> instead, but... you know, kids.)
>
> In my own defense, I'm not entirely certain that the problems I have
> encountered are specific to pyglet.  They might have to do with the
> limitations of the 2to3 program.
>
> I'm starting with my own Ubuntu 13.04 system.  I downloaded
> pyglet-1.2alpha1, unzipped it and executed "sudo python3 setup.py install",
> as I have done with many a package.  Then I tried running various programs
> in two directories (these programs are also on the pyglet.org web site).
>
> pyglet-1.2alpha1/examples/programming_guide/hello_world.py runs fine.
>
> pyglet-1.2alpha1/examples/programming_guide/image_viewer.py also runs fine.
>
> pyglet-1.2alpha1/examples/programming_guide/animation.py produces an
> error.  Here's the traceback.

> From earlier discussions, I know that distutils automatically executes
> 2to3 on the pyglet core module, when you invoke pyglet's setup.py file from
> Python 3.  The setup script does not appear to run 2to3 on the code outside
> of the package itself.  And while I doubted that the KeyError I saw above
> was a Python 2/3 compatibility issue, I tried running 2to3 on animation.py
> anyway.  2to3 seems to agree with me, reporting back "RefactoringTool: No
> files need to be modified."
>
> Finally, I got errors when trying to run pyglet-1.2alpha1/tests/test.py.
>  At first, it looked like the fix would be easy:

> Clearly this was a problem for 2to3, so I ran it on test.py.  It corrected
> that one print statement, and nothing else.  Then I ran test.py again.
>  This time I got a deeper problem:

> This error suggests that, during the build and install process, 2to3 left
> some code uncorrected in pyglet/__init__.py.  This has me worried.  Could
> there be other code that 2to3 failed to correct?  I don't want to offer my
> students a tool, only to have it crash on them.
>
> So, there you have it, the two errors that I am encountering.  If anyone
> has any advice, I would appreciate it.  Thanks!

Seems relevant:
https://code.google.com/p/pyglet/issues/detail?id=615&colspec=ID%20Stars%20StatusType%20OpSys%20Modified%20Summary

If
https://code.google.com/p/pyglet/issues/detail?id=630&colspec=ID%20Stars%20StatusType%20OpSys%20Modified%20Summary
is
your problem then, for me:

>>> import pyglet
>>> pyglet.window
<pyglet._ModuleProxy object at 0x7ffab02cf690>
>>> pyglet.window.Window()
<pyglet.window.xlib.XlibWindow object at 0x7ffab02c7b50>

Window pops up.
It works! Sorry.

What happens when you help(pyglet) and help(pyglet.window) and
help(pyglet.window.Window)?