import syntax

Joshua Landau joshua at landau.ws
Mon Jul 29 18:37:37 EDT 2013

On 29 July 2013 21:23, Devyn Collier Johnson <devyncjohnson at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 07/29/2013 04:20 PM, Tim Chase wrote:

>>> I got a bit further, and if I'm only using a couple of functions
>>> from the import, I'll list them in the comment.
>>>
>> If I just plan to use a small subset, I tend to reach for the
>>
>>    from sys import stdout, stderr, exit
>>
>> sort of syntax.  I find it makes my code read a bit more cleanly than
>> having to type "sys.stderr.write(...)" everywhere but is still pretty
>> readable.
>>
>> -tkc
>>

>>  So, there are no advantages or disadvantages when disregarding
> readability?

Sure, just as one light is no brighter or dimmer than another when
disregarding luminosity.

As people have said, it improves diffs as well. It flows quicker into the
"from module import things" form (which I oft prefer), too.

When asking these questions, ask yourself "why would it *compile*
differently? It wouldn't. Plus, premature optimisation is the root of all
evil.

1) Write your code
2) If it's slow:
2a) Do you have time? If so:
2b) Is it important to speed up, or is the slowness not worth spending the
hours fixing?
2c) Profile it to see what's actually slow
2d) Realise that the slow part is not what you thought it was
2e) Fix the bit that's slow (and nothing else)
2f) Repeat from 2
3) Write some more code