PEP8 79 char max

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jul 30 10:06:53 EDT 2013

> In that gauge I would exclude indentation (you don't count the
> number of characters the margin takes) ....

I don't think anyone reads the margins. :-)

That said, I agree that code and prose are fundamentally different
beasts.  Still, when reading either and you get to the end of the
line, you need to shift your gaze down a line and back to the left
margin (or the left margin plus any indentation).  That task becomes
more difficult as line length increases.

As programmers/software engineers, we need to read and write both code
and text. I think 80 columns is still a decent compromise.

Skip