PEP8 79 char max

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 29 17:01:27 EDT 2013

On 7/29/2013 3:43 PM, Devyn Collier Johnson wrote:
> In Python programming, the PEP8 recommends limiting lines to a maximum
> of 79 characters because "There are still many devices around that are
> limited to 80 character lines"

"plus, limiting windows to 80 characters makes it possible to have
several windows side-by-side. "

> (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#code-lay-out). What devices
> cannot handle 80 or more characters on a line?

PEP 8 is being revised. My understanding is that because such machines
are now rare, while the second reason is still operative, the
recommended limit will be raised to 100, or at least say that some are
using that as the guideline. 200 char lines are harder to read.

--
Terry Jan Reedy