Cross-Platform Python3 Equivalent to notify-send

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Jul 27 11:59:34 EDT 2013

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 08:22:00 -0400, Devyn Collier Johnson wrote:

> On 07/27/2013 07:30 AM, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Devyn Collier Johnson
>> <devyncjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Linux systems with the proper software can use the "notify-send"
>>> command. Is there a cross-platform Python3 equivalent?

[snip answer "no"]

> That really sucks. I was hoping Python had some way of doing that. All
> that it needs to do is display a little box at one of the corners of the
> screen. I thought someone would have implemented something by now. Thank
> you anyway.

If it's that simple, how about you do it? Won't take you more than, oh,
ten minutes, right?

*wink*

Don't underestimate the difficulty of "trivial" code when it has to work
on two dozens different platforms with different capabilities:

Windows XP, 2000, Vista, 7, 8 ...
Mac OS-X
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, running KDE (3 or 4?), Gnome (2 or 3?), Trinity,
RatPoison, XFCE, something else... or no window manager at all

--
Steven