Is it that easy to install Python ?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 12:44:15 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 4:08 AM,  <santiago.diez at caoba.fr> wrote:
> OK thanks for your answers.
> So Python is not a daemon. Is it?

No.

> Does it have a config file?

Not as such.  Arbitrary site-specific customization can be done by
creating a sitecustomize module, but this is not standard.  There are
also some environment variables that you may want to consider setting
in the system profile, but none are required or generally recommended:

http://docs.python.org/2/using/cmdline.html#environment-variables

> Actually, each site on the web server is jailed in a chrooted environment.
> In the chrooted environment, Python appears to be in /usr/bin/python.
>
> If I give developers write access to a folder like /usr/lib/python/dist-packages/ (in the chrooted environment), will this be sufficient?

I don't have experience with this, but it seems to me that you should
place the standard library and site-packages in the chrooted
/usr/lib/python2.7 and then set the PYTHONHOME environment variable to
/usr/lib.