Is it that easy to install Python ?

Matthew Lefavor mclefavor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 12:15:47 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM, <santiago.diez at caoba.fr> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I never write any Python program but as a system administrator, I'm often
> asked to install python on Debian servers.
>
> I just finished downloading, configuring, making and installing.
>
> The binary is now installed in :
> /usr/local/Python-2.7.5/bin/python2.7
> (the path is a deliberate administrator choice).
>
> Is that it?
>
> What else will my users need?

They may need permission to install third-party modules themselves. That
would probably require write permissions to /usr/local/Python-2.7.5/lib. If
you are unwilling to grant those permissions, you can suggest that they
learn how to work with "virtualenvs" (http://www.virtualenv.org/en/latest/),
which would allow them to install third-party modules locally.

And, of course, they need to be saavy enough to put the new python
installation on the PATH.