Python Script Hashplings

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jul 26 18:08:26 EDT 2013

Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> writes:

> Devyn, I'm not a *nix person so someone can point out if I'm wrong,
> but my understanding is that the shebang line (or whatever you want to
> call it) just tells the shell: run this command to run this file. So
> you can put "#!/usr/bin/fish-and-chips" as the first line and it will
> try to run the file using /usr/bin/fish-and-chips.

Close: it's an instruction not to the shell, but to the kernel. The
shell defers any “run the program in this file” to the kernel, and it's
the kernel that pays attention to the file's shebang line.

--
 \              “When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir |
  `\                                              cevinpl.” —Anonymous |