Python3, GUIs, game APIs, PyGLet, 2to3...?

John Ladasky john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 25 18:26:01 EDT 2013

On Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:35:43 AM UTC-7, Kushal Kumaran wrote:

> Does your python command mean python2 or python3?  The setup.py at
> https://code.google.com/p/pyglet/source/browse/setup.py seems to run
> 2to3 automatically, but that will only happen if you actually use
> python3 to run setup.py.

Thank you for that sharp observation, Kushal!  (And I hope that more packages besides pyglet are configured this way -- to automatically run 2to3, when you install on Python 3.)

How strange that I remember typing "sudo python setup.py install".  Because on my Ubuntu 13.04 system, that would invoke Python 2.7, which is an essential part of the OS.  Nevertheless, I was able to import pyglet after invoking "python3" from the shell.  I didn't think that installed modules could be shared between multiple Python versions.

I'll try again from scratch, and see whether that clears up my problems.