Simple Python script as SMTP server for outgoing e-mails?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Jul 24 10:38:52 EDT 2013

On 7/23/13 5:53 PM, Gilles wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 10:14:15 -0400, Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com>
> wrote:
>> http://www.hmailserver.com
>
> Thanks. hMailServer was one of the apps I checked, and I was just
> making sure there weren't something simpler, considering my needs,
> ideally something like Mongoose MTA.
>
> Regardless, because of the SPAM anti-measures mentioned above, it
> seems like I was over-optimistic about running an MTA and sending
> e-mails from my home computer :-/

The reason I mentioned hMailServer is that I host my own mail server for
my business--I have a static IP address, and correctly configured
DNS--and so I'm able to send out large batches of e-mails to customers
from my network without being blocked by my ISP. I'm running a Mac
server so my mail system is the typical Unix setup (Postfix, etc.), but
hMailServer was the closest thing I've found for Windows.

Configuring your own server isn't cheap in terms of time even if you use
FOSS components, and your ISP may charge more for a static IP, so I
completely understand if you don't want to go that route.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin/Mobile Code by Kevin