Simple Python script as SMTP server for outgoing e-mails?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Sun Jul 21 17:01:09 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-21, Gilles <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:

> Every once in a while, my ISP's SMTP server refuses to send
> perfectly legit e-mails because it considers them as SPAM.
>
> So I'd like to install a dead-simple SMTP server on my XP computer
> just to act as SMTP backup server. All I'd need is to change the SMTP
> address in my e-mail client, and off they go. No need for anything
> else like user authentication or SPAM control.

Unless you've got a static IP address, a domain name, and a valid MX
record that will match up when they do a reverse DNS lookup, it's
pretty unlikely that you're going to have much luck running an SMTP
server.  Most other SMTP servers are probably going to ignore or
reject your attempts to transfer mail from your own SMTP server.

> Is there a no-brainer, ready-to-use solution in Python that I could
> use for this?

I'd recommend postfix or exim if I was going to try to do it, but I
think they're Unix-only.

--
Grant