Simple Python script as SMTP server for outgoing e-mails?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 12:25:23 EDT 2013

On 07/22/2013 08:15 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> If legit mail is rejected for failing an SPF check, it's the sending
> admin's problem, not yours. You should never have problems with it if
> it's set up correctly. And since rejected mail gets reported to the
> transmitting MTA, you don't need to drop it in a spambox or anything.
> It's not spam, it's simply invalid mail (equivalent to something sent
> to a dud address).

Sure. Tell that to the people you work for who depend on e-mail.  When I
was a sysadmin (quite recently), I'd have gotten fired for enforcing
such an arbitrary policy.  Indeed when mail wasn't coming through that
someone in the organization was expecting and wanting, regardless of
SPF, it was indeed *my* problem and my job was on the line.  BOFH
attitudes simply aren't going to change that reality.

SPF is just one more of the many things that are contributing overall to
absolutely breaking and demise of SMTP.  I'm afraid when it does finally
cease to work, it's going to be replaced with less open,
centrally-controlled messaging systems like facebook.  Which is unfortunate.