Simple Python script as SMTP server for outgoing e-mails?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 10:08:43 EDT 2013

On 07/22/2013 06:51 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about SPF
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework
>
> It's a great way of detecting legit vs forged mail. If anyone tries to
> send mail purporting to be from anything at kepl.com.au and the receiving
> mail server is checking SPF records, it'll be rejected after one cheap
> DNS lookup. It's a simple and cacheable way to ask the owning server,
> "Is this guy allowed to send mail for you?". (The 192.168 block in my
> SPF record above is permitted to allow some intranet conveniences;
> omit it unless you need it.)

Yes setting SPF records will help your mail be accepted by other
servers, but I disagree with your appeal to make mail server SPF
handling as strict as your server does. SPF has problems in a number of
situations which could cause legitimate mail to be rejected.  In my last
job I could only use SPF as one spam factor, not as a basis for rejection.