Simple Python script as SMTP server for outgoing e-mails?

Gilles nospam at nospam.com
Mon Jul 22 08:11:25 EDT 2013

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 18:28:27 -0600, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com>
wrote:
>The Sendmail MTA has been ported to many platforms including windows.
>But...

Thanks for the tip. Since I couldn't find a good, basic, native
Windows app, I was indeed about to look at eg. Exim + Cygwin, and
resort to a Linux appliance if none footed the bill.

>> I'm not sure my ISP blocks outbound port 25 connections. I'll
>> experiment with a small Linux box.
>
>Having spent a long time managing e-mail servers, everything Ivan said
>in his reply is true as well.  I had forgotten a lot of that since I
>haven't been running my own mail server (MTA or server part) in a while.

Indeed, I had forgotten about some MTAs refusing incoming e-mails from
other ISP's customer hosts. I'll experiment.

>But then how would it know that legit-looking e-mails aren't in fact
>SPAM?

It generally does a good job, but every once in a while, some
perfectly good e-mail I'm sending is flagged as SPAM. To keep all my
e-mails in the same client, I'd rather use a local MTA than sending
the e-mail from Gmail.

Thank you.